Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ricotta- and Berry-Filled Crepes

O'Brien and Brewster came over this past rainy Sunday for brunch. The Real Martha had given me a gift basket she received that had crepe mix in it, so I decided to bust it out for the occasion. I know it's cheating to use a crepe mix, but I made up for it by making the ricotta with which the crepes were stuffed, right?

The ricotta-making went very well... the curds formed and hung together better than last time I made it. Perhaps my cheese-making skillz are improving?
For the crepe stuffing, I mixed the ricotta with some lemon and orange zest, a couple squirts of honey, some toasted almonds, and fresh blueberries and raspberries. Then I topped the stuffed crepes with a blueberry raspberry sauce (frozen blueberries and raspberries, a little sugar, a little water, a little lemon juice, simmer, puree). Pretty good! I think next time I would mix some sour cream or something creamy into the stuffing to give it some more moisture. That's probably my only complaint, though. The flavor was pretty good!