Sunday, January 19, 2014

Polka Dot Blazer

I love, love, love my Victoria blazer.  I've had the chance to wear it a bunch recently since it's been relatively chilly here in Bangkok (check me rocking it on New Year's eve below. Also: hi Colleen!) and it's inspired me to take on another blazer project.  


This time I wanted to try something a little more fitted than the Victoria.  I picked out Simplicity 1542, an unlined blazer, because I liked the shape and simple lines of it. Plus it's not meant to be buttoned, which works perfectly for me since I never button my blazers.

I sewed up view C, with the pointed collar/lapel.  I liked the tuxedo-esque lapels on that version (despite the heinously '90s styling on the pattern cover), although I also think the military-esque version with the buttons could be nice, too.  I used some red polka dot fabric (heavier than quilting cotton, but not quite twill?) that I bought here in Bangkok at Hieng Yoo Huat fabric, which is conveniently right across the street from where Tim and I like to grab pizza before heading to the movies (although inconveniently right at one of this week's major protest sites).


I like this pattern and think mine came out really cute.  Here are the sewing details:
  • There was 5 inches of ease according to the pattern, so I ended up going down 2 sizes from what the envelope told me and am pretty happy with the fit (although I think if I wanted to wear anything more than a tank underneath, I would have needed to go up at least one).  
  • The collar/lapels are a bit stiff with so many layers, but it's not a big deal.  
  • I didn't encase inner seams with bias tape; I just serged them. 
  • I also didn't hand stitch the hem or add the decorative button band in the back.  
  • For this version I am not too sure about the full-length sleeves.  I may shorten them to 3/4ths to be more casual since I plan on mainly wearing it with jeans, but in the meantime, rolling them up will do.