Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Buttonless Batik Beatrix

When my mom was visiting me in Indonesia a few years ago, we went a bit crazy buying batiks for her to make a quilt. (Hilarious) evidence of our shopping spree below:

Last time I saw her we laid out the all the different pieces and identified one as an outlier. We decided that this pretty, albeit not very traditional, batik didn't quite fit in the quilt, but would make a lovely blouse. Something simple, so as not to break up the diagonal print.



Beatrix to the rescue!


I've had good luck with Beatrix and my mom has loved the Josephine blouse I made her earlier in the year, so we figured another Made by Rae pattern would be a good choice for her.


Construction details:


I was planning on putting buttons down the back, a la Beatrix view A, but matching the diagonal print across the button band was blowing my mind and blocking my sewjo, so I decided to keep it simple and cut the back on the fold at the center back line.


This Beatrix has 3/4 length sleeves and the shirttail hem. Pretty straightforward... Beatrix is really a great all-purpose blouse, perfect for displaying a pretty fabric!

And I think Martha likes it: